All you Need to Know About Stairlifts
You might be surprised to learn that thousands of UK homeowners have had a stairlift installed in their property, which provides essential aid for the injured or elderly who are not able to use the stairs in the conventional manner.
Main Types of Stairlift
There are two main types of stairlift; straight or curved, and as every property is unique, bespoke solutions are always required. The units are battery powered and can easily be charged from a mains power socket and the battery powers an electric motor, which, in turn, drives the mechanism that raises or lowers the chair. All the components are encased and with very easy operation, you can safely go up or down the staircase, and without the aid of another person, which is ideal.
Short Term Solutions
If you enquire about the stairlift rental cost in Aylesbury, you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that renting a stairlift is very cheap when compared to purchasing. Not everyone has a long-term need for a stairlift, which is why there are suppliers who offer both purchase and rental solutions, which is ideal if you only need the unit for a few weeks or months.
A modern stairlift comprises of the following components:
- Battery – The battery powers the electric motor and it can easily be re-charged by plugging it into the mains power supply.
- The Electric Motor – This is the power component, which drives the gear, which in turn, raises or lowers the chair, allowing you to ascend or descend safely.
- Gear Network – The gearing is what actually moves the rail, which is encased so it cannot be seen.
- The Rail – The tracking is securely fixed at regular intervals along the walls, with a hidden belt that transfers the power.
- The Chair – The chair might be of the swivel variety, which allows you to safely change direction when leaving the unit, although there are fixed chair units. Every unit has a safety belt that is worn by the user to ensure they remain seated.
Designed Around the Staircase
Any stairlift would have to be built around the staircase, and with straight and curved sections, a perfect fit is easily achieved and the end result is perfection. A smooth operation allows you to go up and down as you wish and with easy to use controls, you can operate the stairlift unaided, which is great. Whether you are looking for a short or long-term solution, an online search will reveal the whereabouts of a nearby mobility specialist, who would also stock mobility scooters, bathroom safety items and walking frames.
Not being able to use the top floor of your home can be more than a little inconvenient and if you find yourself in a situation where you find it hard to climb the stairs, don’t take any chances, rather talk to a stairlift supplier, who can give you a safe solution to your mobility issues.