Bachelor of Science (B.Sc. Biology) is one of the most popular academic degree courses among the science students after class 12th. The duration of the course ranges from 3 years to 5 years. After the completion, there is a multitude of options available for the science students. Often, students are recruited directly by big MNCs after B.Sc. Biology. They can also get placed in the various public sectors as well as private sector undertakings.
Scope for Higher Studies after B.Sc Biology
Students, who have scored above 60 percent in their finals, can apply for the Master’s courses in biology. Some leeway is offered in marks for students of the SC/ST categories. However, all the students need to write an admission test. Those who clear this successfully are called for an interview. There are various higher study options available for an aspirant with a B.Sc Biology degree. Some of the important higher study options in Biology that are chosen by the candidates who wish for a higher study in this field include the following.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Master of Science in Biological Sciences
- Master of Science in Applied Biology
- Master of Science in Conservation Biology
- Master of Science in Computational Biology
- Master of Science in Environmental Biology
- Master of Science in Environmental Microbiology
- Master of Philosophy in Plant Molecular Biology
- Master of Philosophy in Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Biological Sciences
- Doctor of Philosophy in Plant Molecular Biology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology
- Master of Business Administration
Other Certification Courses after B.Sc Biology
There are numerous certifications, which can be pursued after completing B.Sc Biology to improve one’s career scope. Many short-term as well as long-term certifications available in the field of Biology can be pursued in India as well as abroad. The most valid certification courses, which are internationally accepted in the teaching field in Biology are the American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) and Online Wildlife Biology Certification.
The scope for a good career is quite high when it comes to Biology. With the right educational qualifications and work experience, students can get jobs in our nation or overseas. Some of the employment areas where a person with a higher degree in Biology can utilize his talent include the following.
- Agricultural Research Services
- Botanical Gardens
- Botanical Survey
- Medical Research
- Medical Laboratories
- Wildlife and Fishery Departments
- Science Centres
- Food Institutes
- Seed and Nursery Companies
Biology is a field that has seen a lot of development over the years. The Government of India is planning new undertakings as well, so there is a great scope for the aspirants in the future.
Let’s take a quick look at the possible major employers for biologists in India are:
• Bcs-Insilico Biology
• Tata Memorial Centre
• Indian Society of Cell Biology
So, without thinking too much, go ahead and choose a career path according to your interest and abilities.